Home Galleries About Me Contact Info Resources Fees FAQ Videos

Answers to some questions you might have

Where can you perform marriage ceremonies?

My appointment is for Canmore and the surrounding area including Kananaskis to the Lake Louise area. I do not take bookings outside of this area, but if your situation changes after you have booked me, I may be available to perform the ceremony in another location if needed.


How much does it cost for a ceremony?

Please have a look at my Fees page for information.


Do I need permits or am I required to rent an outdoor location for my ceremony?

There are some locations that can be rented where you may have exclusive use of the location. Permits are required for some provincial parks and lands and Parks Canada has a web page with an application that you fill out and send to them stating that you are aware of the rules and regulations.

Here are a few links that you might find handy.

Banff National Park  https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/mariage-wedding

Alberta Provincial Parks https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/about-us/working-together/special-events/

Town of Canmore https://canmore.ca/business/facility-venue-booking/wedding-venues

Town of Banff https://banff.ca/weddings


Where do we get the licence and our certificate? Are they included in your fees?

Alberta Marriage Commissioners are not permitted to issue licences or certificates. Any Alberta registry agent will take care of that for you and those fees are paid to them. If it is imperative that the marriage be registered immediately, let me know before you pick up your licence as there are limited options in this area to do that.


Can I have a friend or family member do the ceremony and just have you sign the paperwork?

I am happy to have someone special to you have a part in your ceremony, but the marriage commissioner must be seen as the officiant with others performing readings or other ceremonies. An option to consider is that I will perform the legal ceremony with you and your witnesses earlier in the day with your friend or family member performing a symbolic ceremony before your guests. This type of ceremony is also ideal for those having a destination wedding, but having their legal ceremony in Alberta.


Can we change the ceremony to something that is more "us" and less legal

Almost any part of the ceremony can be changed except for the required legal statements. Have a look at the typical ceremony on the resources page. Anything not marked in yellow can be changed or modified. Unfortunately, you can not strip it down to just the legal bits as the ceremony must also demonstrate intent.


What happens if we are running late?

While a delay is sometimes unavoidable for many reasons, think of how you might feel if I were to call and say I will be 30 minutes or more late for your ceremony and the inconvenience that would cause. 

I allow for at least 15 minutes past the scheduled start time to begin the ceremony. If you arrive too much later than that, there is a chance that I may not be able to stay if I have another booking after yours and may need to arrange for the ceremony to occur later in the day.

The possibility of rescheduling exists, but in over 600 ceremonies, I have not had to reschedule a single one.


If we are getting married outside, do we need to have a backup location?

Like many other couples, you have chosen to be married in the mountains and the views that go along with that. I am fine with an outdoor ceremony year round, but some of your guests may not find poor weather that comfortable. If it is possible to have an indoor location as a backup, I do recommend it.